Best Sandals for Plantar Fasciitis in 2016
For people who suffer from plantar fasciitis, the simple act of standing at work can be difficult. Plantar fasciitis is a sharp-shooting pain and inflammation at the heel. You probably already have special orthotics for work. But if you suffer from this condition, you know how inept most footwear is when you come back home.
As a sufferer of plantar fasciitis, what exactly do you wear at home? We’re glad you asked! Sandals, also known as flip flops are affordable and effective solutions for combating plantar fasciitis at home. Here is our comprehensive review and guide of some of the best sandals for plantar fasciitis.
Benefits of wearing sandals for Plantar fasciitis
- Arch support: Great arch support that effectively help tone down plantar fasciitis.
- Versatile: Sandals can be worn almost anywhere.
- Hassle-free: Easily wear them in or out in a matter of seconds.
- Affordable: Incredibly inexpensive. You can buy a few of them without causing a ding in your bank account.
- Breathable: Your feet are exposed to the open and can breathe freely.
Plantar fasciitis sandals feature requirements
If you are buying sandals for plantar fasciitis, there are a few aspects and requirements to consider.
- Arch support: Not all sandals for plantar fasciitis offer the same arch support. Some are for over-pronators, supinators or normal arch. Choose one based on your foot arch.
- Foot strap: You don’t want your sandal to leave your feet on every step. The strap and how it straps in is an important aspect. Also, consider the width of the strap. The larger, the better.
- Heel Cup: The heel cup is the region that accommodates your inflamed heel. It will provide the support and pain prevention benefits. Choose one with a soft and yet deep heel cup.
- Comfort: At the end of the day, the point of those sandals is to alleviate your pain. Good sandals for plantar fasciitis add to the overall wearing comfort, not the contrary.
Read more: Best shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Best Men Sandals for Plantar Fasciitis
OOFOS Unisex OOriginal Thong Flip-Flop
Our rating: (4.7 / 5)
The OOFOS is a unisex sandal that has a discreet look and unibody finish. It is easy to slip on and out.
- Over 12 color choices
- Uni-body. Made from molded rubber
- 1” heel for shock absorption
- Sole protrusion for high arch support.
- Strap cutout
- Textured footbed is anti-slip
OOFOS uses a patented footbed texture that absorbs impact and also prevents slipping. This model is also unisex so it fits both men and women. It is a great sandal with arch support for plantar fasciitis.
The sole protrusion is only recommended for people with normal or high arch feet. Flat feet avoid this sandal.
Customers who bought this model rate it very highly and recommend it dearly. It performs well and alleviates plantar fasciitis on the cheap.
Our rating: (4.0 / 5)
The Vionic Bryce is a great pair of flip flops and regarded by many as one of the best sandals for plantar fasciitis, especially those with flat feet.
- 2 color option – black and brown
- Excellent looks with machine engineered finishes
- Recovery sandal – great for wearing after sports activities or a hard day at work
- EVA triple density footbed
- Comfortable heel and fore foot cushions
- Leather straps
- Vibram outsole – very durable
We like everything on the Vionic Bryce. It has the looks and the features to match. The Vibram outsole will guarantee you get years of usage out of this flip-flop. This model is also excellent for flat feet.
The price of this model might not be within the price range of many budget-minded buyers. Not for high arches.
Reception of this plantar fasciitis flip flop is very good. Many customers with flat feet feel right at home with the Vionic Bryce.
Our rating: (4.8 / 5)
The Olukai Hokua is a simple looking sandal that has a lot to offer – especially in terms of comfort and dependability.
- Over 12 different models
- Anti-slip rubber outsole
- Great ergonomics and EVA midsole
- Brushed ICEVA footbed
- Non-marking outsole offers great movability
- Decorative stitching on straps
- Soft toe rest
All the materials and shape of the Olukai Hokua is geared towards making it an ultra-comfortable flip-flop. The shape is anatomically designed to accommodate a foot suffering from plantar fasciitis.
No high arch support for high arch.
One of the most solidly rated and best flip flop for plantar fasciitis you can find. Customers vouch for this model and love it to bits. They are great plantar fasciitis sandals.
Our rating: (4.0 / 5)
The Vionic Ryder is a podiatrist recommend flip flop for flat feet plantar fasciitis.
- Orthaheel Technology
- Medium density EVA midsole
- High-quality leather straps
- Professional finish
- Shock-absorbing midsole
- Soft toe post
- Adjustable Velcro strap
Orthaheel technology ensures that flat feet users have their foot pressure points distributed equally throughout the foot. This drastically diminishes pain. Lightweight and made from high-quality EVA material for a comfortable fit.
The straps are from leather that is easily damaged. Heel cup is spread on a wide area, which may be too big for those with small heels.
The Vionic Ryder is a very popular model. It attracts its own shares of pros and cons from customers. Most customers are satisfied with the relief. However, a few pointed out the wide heel cup and average arch support.
Our rating: (4.4 / 5)
A simple sandal for plantar fasciitis that offers great pain relief for supinators.
- Anti-slip and quality rubber sole
- Luvseat polyurethane footbed
- 25% recycled rubber – Eco-friendly model
- Non-marking outsole
We live in world where simple things tend to be overly exaggerated with gimmicks. The Chaco Ecotread is a conservative looking flip flop for plantar fasciitis that does just that. It is also water resistant and you will have no problem wearing this model at the beach.
Large heel cup and arch support geared mostly for people with normal arch or supinators. Not excellent plantar fasciitis flip flops for flat feet.
The Chaco Ecotread attracts customers with ecology and usability in mind, rather than looks. Most customers rate this model highly and recommend it based on its excellent arch support and great comfort.
Best women sandals for Plantar fasciitis
Orthaheel Tide Slide
Our rating: (4.4 / 5)
The Orthaheel Tide Slide is an ergonomic flip flop for plantar fasciitis that delivers great performance anywhere.
- 8 color options
- Distinct feminine look
- Manmade sole – slip resistant and durable
- EVA footbed provides great comfort
- Anti-sweat rubber
- TPR Outsole – slip resistant
- Neoprene cushioning liner
The ergonomic form factor and comfortable material will provide immediate relief. It is also heavily constructed by hand and is very durable. For those who can look over the simple looks, it is a great model to be had.
Might be a bit too blend looking for some.
Many customers of the Orthaheel Tide Slide note the immediate pain they get upon wearing this sandal. It is rated as one of the best sandals for plantar fasciitis and rightly so.
Our rating: (4.6 / 5)
The Olukai Ohana has a weird shape but comes with features that will make you fall in love with it.
- Wide color selection
- Water-resistant with quick-dry technology
- Top-grain nubuck leather
- Ultra-soft lining for a comfortable fit
- Quick dry technology
- Ergonomic ICEVA drop-in footbed
- EVA midsole – shock absorption and great arch support
The design and shape of the Olukai Ohana serve a good purpose. It is anatomically contoured to fit the foot and the technologies in the sandal provide quick foot pain relief. The heel cup accommodates the heel perfectly and makes it stay put while walking.
Not the best type of sandal for supinators.
Customers of the Olukai Ohana simply adore this model. It works right out of the box and does everything it promises – and even more. This is most definitely one of the best flips flops for plantar fasciitis on the market.
Our rating: (4.4 / 5)
The Spenco Yumi is a minimalist and affordable sandal for plantar fasciitis, and despite its low price it has a lot to offer.
- 55% Nylon and 45% Polyurethane mix
- Non-marking rubber sole
- Anti-slip outsole
- EVA footbed
- Deep heel cup
- No heel lift
The Spenco Yumi is an affordable sandal that will not cost you an arm or a leg. It has a minimalist design and yet the deep heel cup, no-drop heel lift and excellent EVA footbed earns it much respect as a sandal for foot relief.
Might just be too simple looking for some.
The Spenco Yumi attracts the budget conscious customer and all in all, most of them are highly satisfied with their purchase rating this model a solid 5-stars. One of the best sandals for plantar fasciitis on a price-to-performance ratio.
Our rating: (4.5 / 5)
Just like the Men version, the Chaco Ecotread is a great performing sandal and offers excellent foot relief. Those with ecology in mind clearly love this eco-friendly plantar fasciitis sandal.
- 20 different models to choose
- Strap made from quality fabric
- Quick dry strap
- Anti-slip sole
- Durable toe post
- Polyurethane footbed
- Pattern on footbed for added comfort
- 25% recycled rubber compound construction
The Chaco Ecotread is an eco-friendly flip-flop for plantar fasciitis. Additionally, it provides immediate foot pain relief and is a very comfortable model.
It’s a bit wide. Can be too wide for those with a small foot.
Another well-regarded sandal for plantar fasciitis. Customer like the simplicity and durability of this model. Many customers have also noted it is the best plantar fasciitis sandal they have ever owned.
Vionic Tide II
Our rating: (4.5 / 5)
A decent sandal that offers great arch support and relief to plantar fasciitis.
- Over 20 models to choose from
- Anti-slip quality rubber compound sole
- Guarantees all-day comfort
- Cushioned insole
- Shock absorbing EVA midsole
- High arch support
- Deep heel cup
The deep heel cup and protruded midsole provide excellent arch support for supinators.
Not ideal for those with flat feet due to the elevated arch.
Customers with a high arch simply love this product. They all note an immediate plantar fasciitis pain relief upon wearing this sandal.
As we have seen, to find the best sandals for plantar fasciitis requires a minimum of research and testing. Taking into account our guidelines and reviews, go ahead and try out a few models that appeal to you. After some time, you will find that you consistently revert to one specific model every day for pain relief at home.