Best Walking Shoes for Flat Feet
Flat Feet is a genetic condition where the feet arch is collapsed resulting in a flat looking foot. A flat foot is not necessarily a painful condition, and an estimated 20%-30% of the worldwide population have flat feet. If you have a flat foot and found it a hindrance in your life, whether you want to do sport or for daily walking, then do not despair!
We have prepared this guide to help you cope with your flat foot along with helping you find the best walking shoes for flat feet.
3 Benefits of walking shoes for Flat feet
There are a few important aspects to take into account when choosing the best shoe for flat feet.
- Cushioning: It needs to have proper cushioning. Cushioning extends beyond comfort. It also helps spread the support to your feet and help prevent stress points from building up in your foot when wearing flat feet shoes for long periods.
- Perfect Fit: Flat feet have this perfect fit stigma. A shoe that is too tight or too loose will affect comfortability and create pain in the heel and ankle region. The best walking shoe for flat feet is engineered in a way to stabilize your foot and align your heel to a comfortable position, relative to the rest of your foot.
- Durability: Those shoes are highly durable and construction with top-quality premium materials. They are meant to be worn daily and will most of the time last you for many years.
Can you use Running Shoes as Walking Shoes?
The answer is YES! Running shoes can easily retrofit as walking shoes. By using an appropriate running shoe for flat feet, it can also be used as walking shoes as well. However, the converse is not true. Walking shoes cannot be used as running shoes.
Mizuno Wave Inspire 11
- An iconic model for over 2 decades, the Wave Inspire has inspired millions of runners.
- Lightweight meshed design for good air flow and low foot fatigue. You can wear it for long hours on end, and it will still be a comfortable footwear.
- Dynamotion technology stabilized the foot and offers more control and maneuverability.
- A midsole that mimics a spring sensation. This absorbs shock and delivers a comfortable running experience across the board.
- High quality and comfortable cushioning keep the feet nice and tug with no play, drastically reducing the propensity for pain while running.
- Very affordable price. Anyone can afford the Mizuno Wave Inspire 11.
The Wave Inspire 11 is a great addition to your collection at a price that will not break the bank. One of the best walking shoes for flat feet. This model easily retrofits as both a running and a walking shoe.
Saucony Guide 8
- An attractive design with a serious sporty look.
- Powergrid technology provides better stress dissipation from the heel to the toes, resulting in a comfortable wearing experience.
- Used by professional athletes to give them the edge over their competitors. The cushioning used in the Saucony Guide 8 provide enhanced stability and superior comfort.
- Very attractive price point. One of the most affordable professional running shoes on the market.
- Lightweight and durable construction. It will not leave you dead on the track.
The Saucony Guide 8 is an excellent entry-level sport running shoe. If you have never owned a running shoe before or looking for a spare pair, this model will fill all your needs at an amazingly affordable price. They also make good walking shoes for flat feet.
ASICS GT 1000 4
- Constructed from high-quality synthetic materials that can withstand heavy stress.
- Meshed design for excellent airflow and prevent foot sweating while on the track.
- A highly reputable name and model hailed by many users as a superior running shoe.
- Engineered specifically for overpronators, this model will stabilize your footwork and help prevent stress formation at the heel and ankle region.
- Comfortable and patented GEL cushioning at the heel and forefoot.
The GT 1000 4 is an updated version of the mythical GT 1000 model by ASICS. Known for its durability and high performance, the GT 1000 4 is a much-improved model, considered one of the best running shoes and best walking shoes for flat feet around.
New Balance M1260V5
- Made by one of the world’s leading brand in quality products.
- Made from fabric craftily sewn with a synthetic material to delivers a very professional finish.
- It modern looking beast means business. This model has shock-absorbing insoles and rubber outsoles for an ultra-comfortable running experience. Coupled with the N2 low-ground response, it is the ideal shoe for heavy pounders.
- A midsole stabilizer (T-Beam) substantially stabilizes the foot and help prevent pain when worn for long hours.
- Ideal for over pronators.
New Balance makes excellent walking shoes. They carried this tradition over to their running shoe line. Their expertise in making high-quality and professional shoes are second to none and easily shines on the M1260V5. This model is one of our personal favorites. If you are looking for very comfortable running shoes at a welcoming price, this model is made for you!
Nike Lunarglide 7 Running Shoe
- Over 20 different colors and designs to choose from. Very professional looking pair of cans, which is also endorsed by many celebrities.
- Mesh design for excellent airflow. The shoe is constructed from a special Flynit material, that is not only tough but also resistant to the elements.
- Extremely lightweight and smooth. You will almost forget you are wearing shoes.
- Offers excellent stability and control over your footwork. This model adapts to the shape of your feet and will deliver a superior performance.
- Made by the leading sports shoemaker in the world. It screams expertise and know-how.
One of the world’s most well-regarded model, the Lunarglide has inspired thousands of amateur and professional athletes around the world. With the new 7 series of the Lunarglide model, Nike up the ante with many welcoming features. If you want a professional locking pair of cans that will leave your competitors in the dust, then the Lunarglide 7 will is made for you! It is also an excellent flat feet walking shoes based on feedback by users.
As we have seen, running shoes can also be used as walking shoes. If you are on a tight budget and cannot afford both of them, then buy only one pair of running shoes. You can easily wear them in all comfort for walking and no-one will be any wiser.
Living with a flat foot is not a fatality. There are millions of people with flat feet and it is not necessarily a painful condition. Sometimes, all it takes are good walking shoes for flat feet. If, however, your flat foot causes pain, then here are some tips that will help you keep the pain at bay.
How to Deal with a Painful Flat Foot
#1 Daily Stretches
Whether you have a flat foot or a high arch foot, stretches are vital before any physically demanding activity. Stretches help irrigate your muscle with fresh blood, nutrients, and oxygen. If walking is painful for you, then perform straightforward and easy-to-do exercises like the plantar fascia stretch or wall push right after getting out of bed. They are known to be effective, especially for those with flat feet.
#2 Better be Safe than Sorry
Do not over-exercise. Sometimes the foot cannot keep up with the mind. It is better to take a step back and slow down your daily exercises if you start feeling pain. If you are in pain after jogging for 5km, tone it down to a lesser distance.
#3 Flat Feet Walking Shoes
Buy good walking shoes for flat feet. Those specialized shoes will work miracles in preventing pain and protect your heel, foot muscles, ligaments, fascia and ankle from stress. They are also ultra-comfy cans that you will not want to take off!
#4 Foot Massages
Massage your feet daily. It is a common practice even among professional athletes. Make it a routine to give yourself regular foot massages after every strenuous activity or even casual walks. If you can find someone to give you foot massages, all the better!
#5 Custom Insoles
Wear custom insoles. Custom insoles offer the added benefit of protecting your flat foot by absorbing stress the body exerts on the feet and evenly spreading it out from the heel to the toes. The best walking shoes for flat feet all come with replaceable insoles.
Buy a few pair of over-the-counter medical insoles and try them out. They are cheaper than a visit to the podiatrist. Chances are you will find one that you cannot live without.
#6 Lose some weight
Being flat-footed and overweight is a bad combination. The force the body exerts on the foot will tend to resonate back up after every step you make, resulting in not only foot pain but also generalized ankle and leg pain. Lose that weight!
How to Strengthen your Feet
Dealing with the pain is one thing. Strengthening your feet is where you reap on the goodies and stop feeling the pain forever.
Here are 3 activities recommended by experts to strengthen your flat feet:
#1 Walk on Sand
Although not based on actual evidence, there are enough anecdotes from people with flat feet to suggest that walking barefooted on sand allows a flat-footer to develop better resistance and tolerance. Perform this activity on a weekly basis for at least 30 minutes if you can afford to.
#2 Treadmill Walk
Having a flat foot means you need to do things differently. Instead of running on a treadmill (you sill can), use it to walk for at least 15 minutes. This activity will help massage, revitalize and strengthen your feet.
#3 Toe Spread
Sit down and spread your toes as far as possible. Keep this position for at least 10 seconds and rinse and repeat 10 times for each toe.