Best Shoes for Achilles Tendonitis
Millions of people around the world suffer from Achilles tendonitis. This is a very common foot problem that can easily be treated. Most of the time, it simply boils down to using the correct shoes for Achilles tendonitis. The reverse can also be true. Bad and regular shoes can cause this uncomfortable condition. But since you are looking for a solution, we will provide you with hands-on information and reviews of some of the best shoes for Achilles tendonitis available today.
What is Achilles Tendonitis?
Achilles Tendonitis is an inflammation or injury to the Achilles tendons. It is normally characterized by a sharp or dull pain that may be debilitating. It is a very common problem that affects millions of people, and especially women who wear uncomfortable high-heels.
There are many factors that can cause this condition. Standing, walking or running or using shoes with a bad fit is the prime reasons. Thankfully, it is a condition that can easily be treated and all it takes is wearing comfortable footwear of the right size and for the right pronation. In fact, one of the precursory signs that you need better footwear is often Achilles tendonitis.
Benefit of Shoes for Achilles Tendonitis
To eradicate Achilles tendonitis, experts recommend shoes designed specifically for this condition. Those shoes have a comfortable heel cup as well as provide support to the ball of the foot as well as the arch. It also takes into account the pronation of your foot, which sometimes is the reason for this condition – as in wearing the wrong shoe for your pronation type.
How to Choose the Right Shoes for Achilles Tendonitis
There are many factors to consider in choosing the right shoe for Achilles tendonitis, and it extends more to simply choosing the correct fit shoe.
- Correct fit: Choosing a correct fit shoe is critical. It needs to be of a comfortable width and length. But you also need to take into account your foot pronation, shape and ensure that the shoe makes the necessary “internal” corrections like medial control and support on the fly.
- Cushioning and heel support: It is vital when choosing the best shoes for Achilles Tendonitis. Good cushioning makes sure that shock gets absorbed and spread through the midsole, not building pressure at the heel and Achilles tendon.
- Your foot type: The right shoes for Achilles tendonitis also take into account your foot pronation and is designed to serve this specific foot type. Foot pronation is simply how your foot aligns to the ground. There are 3 types: overpronators, neutral pronator, and supinator. When buying an Achilles tendonitis shoe, keep an eye out for the pronation type of the shoe. Your wallet will thank you!
Best Shoes for Achilles Tendonitis
For your reading pleasure, here is a list of carefully hand-picked shoes for Achilles Tendonitis. They offer great benefits to their wearers and sufferers from this condition should always wear them, whether it is for walking, training or running.
ASICS GEL Nimbus 17
(4.6 / 5)
(4.6 / 5)
The ASICS GEL Nimbus 17 is a lightweight and comfortable running shoe for Achilles Tendonitis. The Nimbus 17 has excellent support for the heels and dual layer midsole spread energy uniformly. It is also highly durable thanks to the materials used in its construction.
- 13 color option
- Lightweight and durable
- Mesh design for good air circulation
- Patent pending rubber outsole
- Dual-layer midsole
- Excellent arch support
- Heel cup and heel clutching system
- FluidFit upper technology for a comfortable fit
The ASICS Nimbus 17 is a lightweight and high-performing running shoe for supinators who suffer from Achilles tendonitis. It has excellent arch support with its refined ComforDry X-40 Sockliner cushioning system. Guidance Trustic Technology built right into the shoe helps in aligning the foot and prevent under pronation.
There are a lot of nifty technologies in this shoe. They all work effectively to deliver a smooth and comfortable experience to the wearer while preventing Achilles tendonitis.
If you have a high arch pronation, this is one of the rare running shoes that is exclusively designed for you!
Not ideal for flat feet and so-so support for neutral pronators.
Skechers Shape XT
(4.0 / 5)
(4.6 / 5)
The Sketchers XT is an ultra-comfortable walking and fitness shoe that guarantees relief of Achilles tendonitis as fast as possible.
- 4 color option
- Ultra-durable construction
- High-quality rubber compound sole
- Comfortable and dual-layer and dual-density midsole
- Shock-absorbing and Kinetic wedge midsole with exercising effect
- Thick elevator outsole. Perfect for walking
When you first look at the Sketchers XT, you won’t think much of it. However, it is rated and constructed to be one of the most comfortable and best-walking shoes for Achilles tendonitis. The midsole is made from a special dual layer foam that is super comfortable and durable at the same time.
Everything in the Sketchers XT is present to add comfort to the user. Even the external material is made from a synthetic leather that is soft and durable. It also works independent of pronation, so people with flat feet will feet, neutral or under-pronators will feel right at home with this model.
This is not a running shoe and should not be used as such. Sketchers advertise this model as a trainer shoe, and while it offers support for intense footwork, it works best as a walking/fitness shoe.
Mizuno Wave Creation 17
(4.6 / 5)
(4.4 / 5)
The Mizuno Wave Creation 17 is a durable, lightweight and breathable running shoe for Achilles tendonitis.
- 12 color options
- Anti-slip rubber outsole
- Breathable mesh design for good air circulation
- Anti-sweat inner linings
- Neutral feet support
- Bounce-back heel technology
- Forefoot support by U4ic and comfortable padding
This model is a sporty looking running shoe that has a lot of performance-enhanced technologies working under the hood. It offers extra support to the midsole and has an amazing heel cushioning system. Ideal for people who suffer from Achilles tendonitis and have a neutral pronation.
The padding provided in the Mizuno Wave Creation 17 is very generous and still does not add to the general light weight of it. It offers excellent wearing experience for long hours and is very comfortable to wear.
This running shoe offers sub-par support for supinators but excels for neutral pronation.
PUMA Cell Surin
Our rating: (4.4 / 5)
The PUMA Cell Surin is a gorgeous looking Cross-Training Shoe built from high-quality leather and rubber compound. It has a durable built and should last you for years.
- Very handsome and sporty looking
- 5 color options
- Low profile
- Synthetic rubber sole
- Anti-slip outsole
- Streamlined form factor for great aerodynamics
- Perforations for good air ventilation
- Lace-up vamp
- TPU Shank and stabilization technology
- Heel cushioning
The PUMA Cell Surin is possibly one of the best looking and best running shoes for Achilles tendonitis money can buy. It is a great cross-training low profile shoe that will over-deliver in all of your fitness endeavors. Best, it does so while alleviating and preventing common pains like Achilles tendonitis.
A little bit heavier than other cross-training shoes in its category.