Best Shoes for Metatarsalgia
Have you been suffering from Metatarsalgia lately? Then, you know how painful it is! To alleviate Metatarsalgia, you will need to wear specially adapted shoes for Metatarsalgia. In this comprehensive guide and review, we are going to recommend some of the best shoes for Metatarsalgia as well as give tips and advice on how to make this condition more tolerable.
Best Shoes for Metatarsalgia
Here is a selection of the best Metatarsalgia shoes hand-picked by us. They are the best shoes for metatarsal pain money can buy.
Let's read the review of each shoes.
1. Drew Rose Mary Jane - Women
Our rating: (4.2 / 5)
A mouthful name for a Metatarsalgia shoe. As the name points out, this is a women shoe. It cones in multiple color options to choose from and has an excellent fitting system – Plus Fitting System. Regardless of your foot pronation, the Mary-Jane will be a good fit.
- 20 different models to choose
- Durable leather construction
- Synthetic rubber compound outsole
- Thick 1” heel and 1/2” platform.
- Breathable toe box
- Plus Fitting System for a comfortable fit regardless of foot pronation and shape
- Toe box is elevated and metatarsal elevated to the ground
- Custom insoles – can easily pop in your orthotics
- Dual layer midsole and good arch support
The Mary-Jane is a simple looking flat shoe. However, it has a lot of features and technologies that makes this relatively affordable shoe a good buy, especially for those looking for a flat walking shoe. The Plus Fitting System works wonderfully well regardless of foot pronation. The elevated and roomy toe-box relieves Metatarsalgia almost immediately and it is a comfortable shoe to wear the whole day.
The simplistic and uninspiring design might not be to the liking of a few design conscious women.
Many customers of the Mary-Jane vote this walking shoe highly. They are satisfied with the performance and a few even noted that a have more than 1 pair of this shoe.
2. Brooks Addiction Walker - Men
Our rating: (4.5 / 5)
The Brooks Addiction Walker is an iconic walking shoe for men. Sporting many technologies and ultra-comfortable padding, the Addiction Walker is regarded as one of the best shoes for Metatarsalgia and a very good all-rounder walking shoe.
- Full-grain leather construction – very durable
- Ultra-comfortable dual layer padding with Hydroflow technology
- Thick outsole and deep heel cup
- Roomy toe box with lots of wiggle space
- Lace up design with tight fit form factor
- Rearfoot and forefoot padding
- MOGO midsole for energy spreading and great shock absorption
- S-257 midsole – multi-layer midsole
There is more than one technology in this shoe. Multiple technologies, from the S-257 midsole for shock spreading to outsole shock absorption, the Addiction Walker is keen on delivering an excellent and comfortable walking experience. It is also a very durable shoe that comes at a price that will not break the bank.
Lack of mesh for good air circulation. Feet might become sweaty after extended usage.
As expected from this well regarded walking shoe for Metatarsalgia, it has a lot of positive reviews and a very high rating. This is one model you cannot go wrong with.
3. Drew Shoe Expedition Therapeutic Oxford - Men
Our rating: (4.8 / 5)
The Drew Expedition has a magnificent streamlined design for those who care about looks. But it is not simply about good looks with this flat shoe. It has tons of features and benefits that are proven to alleviate Metatarsalgia in men.
- 8 models to choose from
- Streamlined form factor
- Vamp and general mesh for good air circulation
- Plus Fitting System – comfortable and removable footbeds (insole)
- Ultra-durable rubber outsole resistant to wear and tear – slip resistant.
- Dual shank system for excellent gait control and comfort
Of the things we like the most about the Drew shoe is how well the technologies compensate one another. This is a true therapeutic shoe that despite being a medical shoe, still has the fierce look of a good sports shoe.
Customers of the Drew shoe absolutely love this model and it has a solid 5 stars rating across the board. This is bar none one of the best walking shoes for Metatarsalgia on the market.
4. Skechers Shape Ups 2.0 Comfort Stride - Women
Our rating: (4.5 / 5)
Sketchers is known to make very high quality shoes, whether it is for walking, running, or anything in between. The Comfort Stride sneaker lives up to this expectation and is an excellent choice for those looking for a sneaker for Metatarsalgia.
- Very comfortable due to extra thick padding
- Thick outsole that is anti-slip and elevated
- Athletic look
- Very breathable model with a very roomy toe box area
- Thick midsole provides comfort and great gait control
- Deep heel cup locks the foot in place
Everything is very thick in this sneaker. From having a thick outsole to a thick insole, it ensures that you are always having the most comfortable wearing experience. The roomy toe box area is a bit plus and you can wear this model for long hours without any problem.
Might be a bit too elevated for some. People with flat feet might feel a little bit uncomfortable in this sneaker due to an elevated arch support.
While this sneaker has a very good rating, a few customers have complained about this shoe being “squeaky”, especially in wet conditions. This might be because of the multi-layered soles used in this model. Only recommended in dry weather.
5. Alegria Paloma Flat - Women
Our rating: (4.3 / 5)
The Alegria sports a classic MaryJane style for women and is a shoe that can be worn in any occasion, casual or at work.
- Over 40 models to choose from
- Quality stretchable leather
- Thick outsole made from durable rubber compound
- Spacious toe box area
- Strap on lace
- Removable custom insole – pop in your own orthotics
- Slip resistant outsole and anti-skid body
The lightweight form factor of the Alegria plays in its favor – as it is a very comfortable and light flat shoe that can be worn for long hours without any discomfort.
The MaryJane style might not fit in well with many dress codes, especially those working in the corporate world.
Customers looking for a quick Metatarsalgia relief found it with the Alegria Paloma. Despite its modest looks, it is very well rated and most customers have good things to say about it.
6. Alegria Chairman - Men
Our rating: (4.3 / 5)
Similar to the Alegria for women above, the Alegria Chairman for men is not hot on looks. However, this walking shoe for Metatarsalgia has a lot to offer in terms of features and benefits. It is an easy slip-on wear for almost any occasion.
- 5 models to choose
- Lightweight and easy slip-on
- Thick anti-slip outsole
- Removable insole – can accommodate custom orthotics
- Leather construction – solid and durable
- Comfortable suede Sockliner
The Alegria Chairman is easy to get in and get out of. It is very lightweight and despite it lacking a back, it still offers a comfortable fit. It has modest looks but it will still look good in anything casual.
Lack of back means that this cannot be used for running or fast walking.
Customers of the Alegria Chairman don’t expect much out of it – as they know the affordable price and purpose of this shoe is simply to effectively relieve Metatarsalgia. And it really does so quite well judging from the many positive customer reviews that it has.
7. Aetrex RX Runners - Men
Our rating: (4.8 / 5)
A fierce and athletic look, the Aetrek RX is the perfect example of a good walking and running shoe for Metatarsalgia. Its meshed design and streamlined form factor makes it an excellent shoe for any sporting activities, and even some serious walking.
- Athletic look
- Mesh design for good air flow
- Large forefoot area and stable rear foot
- Comfortable dual-layer midsole for great control and shock absorption
- Gait control technology
- Deep and comfortable heel cups
- Toe padding
- Flat protective lining of the tow and general foot
This is the perfect model that retrofits as both a walking and running shoe. If you need a dual purpose shoe and save some money over buying 2 different shoes, this is the model to go with.
Model might not be visually appealing to a few. There are only 3 different styles to choose from.
The versatility of this model earns it a solid 5-star rating and rave reviews from its happy customers. This is a model you cannot go wrong with as it offers the best of both worlds.
8. Hoka One Bondi 4 - Men/Women
Our rating: (4.4 / 5)
Our rating: (4.6 / 5)
The Hoka One Bondi 4 is a reputable shoe and recognized as one of the best running shoes for Metatarsalgia. It has an excellent construction and very detailed finish. Last but not least, this model has a ton of features that all contribute to alleviate your Metatarsalgia pain.
- Offered both for males and females
- Tick anti-slip rubber outsole
- Gait control and foot stability guidance
- Dual-layer oversized midsole provides excellent shock absorption
- Lycra comfort upper frame
- Large toe box with upper and lower padding
The heavy construction and snug fit of this model ensures that your foot is tucked in the most comfortable position. The dual-layer paddings used throughout the shoe makes it extremely comfortable to wear, whether it is for running or walking. One of the best running shoes for Metatarsalgia on the market!
The tight fit might be a bit too tight for some. People with a flat foot might not feel the most comfortable with this shoe due to its elevated arch.
The Hoka One Bondi 4 is proof that people with Metatarsalgia can practice competitive sports as well. Customers of this shoe, whether it is men or women use it to do their favorite sports without a problem. They rate this model highly and many reviews we found online recommend this model for Metatarsalgia.
What is Metatarsalgia?
Metatarsalgia is a medical term for the general inflammation of the ball of the foot resulting in a painful forefoot. It is a condition that can be debilitating and needs to be catered for.
There are several causes for the Metatarsalgia. The most common ones are:
- Old Age – there is evidence to show that old age causes Metatarsalgia as the Metatarsal pads thin with age.
- High heels – they can be uncomfortable and offer a shallow and small toe box area.
- Long wearing – wearing un-adapted shoes for many hours can result in Metatarsalgia.
- No cushioning – sporting shoes that lack a cushioning system and arch support.
Why you need Metatarsalgia Shoes
Metatarsalgia can aggravate with time and it is a condition that needs immediate attendance. Podiatrists recommend Metatarsalgia shoes because they offer the comfort and support to assuage metatarsal pain.
Many users of Metatarsalgia shoes note an immediate relief in their condition within minutes of wearing. But what are the best Metatarsalgia shoes and what are the benefits of wearing them? We’re glad you asked!
Benefits of Wearing Metatarsalgia Shoes
If you perform many “high-impact” sports like running or cross-training, then you have probably noticed how debilitating those activities can be when you suffer from Metatarsalgia. Metatarsalgia shoes offer the main benefits:
- Immediate and long-term pain relief and prevention
- Generous Toe Box – Metatarsalgia shoes have a spacious toe box and do not cram your toes and ball of the foot in a tiny area. With more room, your whole feel can breathe more freely.
- Heel and Arch support – bad heel and arch support is the prime reason for suffering of Metatarsalgia. Shoes for Metatarsalgia offer excellent arch support regardless of pronation with comfortable and deep heel cups as well as a padded toe box.
- Durability – Those shoes are heavily constructed from quality materials and prior to providing relief, they also last you a long time even when worn regularly.
- Comfort – Regular shoes cannot compete with Metatarsalgia shoes. Whether it is for walking or running, those shoes offer superior comfort and wearing experience. You can also wear them for long periods of time, even for the whole day without feeling any pain.
Features to look for in Metatarsalgia Shoes
There are a few important aspects to consider when buying Metatarsalgia shoes. Here are a few of the most important ones:
- Toe Box Size – Look exclusively for shoes that have a wide and spacious toe box.
- Meshed Material – By having meshes, air can circulate freely and prevent heat buildup. This allows you to wear your shoes for longer periods and also sweat less.
- Lightweight – You do not want a Metatarsalgia shoe that weighs a ton. It will defeat the purpose of buying a shoe that relieves you from one pain as you will develop another.
- Durability – Since those shoes are meant to be worn daily, look for one that is well constructed and made from quality leather and rubber.
- Technologies – There are multiple technologies that work in a Metatarsal shoe to provide relief. Look for technologies that guide the gait, toe ventilation, heel cups and midsole shock absorption for best metatarsal relief. They will help minimize pressure at the ball of the foot and spread the shock evenly.
- Custom Metatarsal Pads – Model with custom metatarsal pads should be preferred. They allow you to replace the insoles with your own custom medical orthotic soles.
Remember, when looking for the best shoes for Metatarsal pain, prevention and relief is the main reason. Those shoes are not meant to “cure” your condition. Seek medical attention if your Metatarsalgia persists even after wearing Metatarsalgia shoes.
How to Treat and Prevent Metatarsalgia
When suffering from Metatarsalgia, there are a few things you can do to treat and prevent this condition.
- Rebalancing the Metatarsal Heads
Pain from Metatarsalgia is generally the outcome of the ball of the foot being in an uncomfortable position. By rebalancing the Metatarsal head, you ensure that the inflammation subsides and your pain goes away. You can use a Metatarsal shoe with good arch support to help realign your metatarsal heads.
- Extra Fatty Pads
Use custom orthotics, also known as medical orthotics that have a thicker and multi-layer pad that support the ball of the foot. This will help lessen the pain and prevent any further inflammation, if any.
- Arch support
The prime reason for developing Metatarsalgia is bad arch support. A good arch support in your shoe is crucial if you want to eradicate this condition forever.
- Comfortable shoes with Gait Control
Always wear the most comfortable shoes ever. There is a good reason who shoes for Metatarsalgia are also the most comfortable. It works and help alleviate and prevent Metatarsalgia. Metatarsalgia shoes also have excellent gait control that realign your foot on every step. This further ensures that you have a correct walking pattern at all times, even if your foot tends to pronate in an uncomfortable position.
- Consult a specialist
Metatarsalgia shoes do not cure the condition. It merely helps prevent or provide relief to it. Check with your foot specialist every so often to ensure that your Metatarsalgia is not the symptom of an even graver condition.